Ona Mission Multisport Adventure 2018
ONA MISSION EVENT DETAILS, 16th September 2018
Welcome to Ona Mission Multisport Adventure 2018. A fun adventure weekend event set in the most sensational locations of Mission Beach and Dunk Island.
Registrations close on Thursday 13th September 2018.
EARLY BIRD PRIZE
Dates & Times:
Confirmation of the final event courses and start times will be made at the compulsory event briefing on Saturday 15th September.
Sunday, 16th September 2018
7:00am Long Course start
7:30am Short Course start
2:00pm Presentations to begin
Outriggers Canoe Club
Casuarina Park, Kennedy Esp, South Mission Beach
An on-site Event Headquarters will be set up on the day.
Individuals, Teams, Pairs, Junior
Designed for those who are at least moderately fit and seeking to experience adventure racing in a fun environment involving running, paddling and mountain biking. As an individual, or in a team of 2 to 4 people. We also have the 2 person ‘Pairs’ category.
JUNIORS are back after a successful introduction in 2016!
Individuals, Teams (of 2 to 4 people)
For those with some experience in multisport adventure racing who relish the longer distances. Participate as an individual or in a team.
Age groups: Open (18 – 44yrs), Masters (45yrs plus), *Junior (13 – 17yrs)
TEAMS – of 2 to 4 people :
Male, Female, Mixed
Age groups: Open (18 yrs plus), *Junior (all of team must be *Junior, aged 13 – 17yrs)
PAIRS – (short course only) – of 2 people, must finish each stage together.
Age groups: Open (18 yrs plus), *Junior (both must be *Junior, 13 – 17yrs)
Note: tandem/double paddle craft are allowed.
*Junior (13-17yrs, short course only) participation is subject to parent/legal guardian approval & capability waiver prior to the event.
Individuals: $110.00 Junior $65.00
Teams (of 2, 3 or 4): $90.00 Junior $55.00
Pairs: $90.00 Junior $55.00
(Junior age group is 13 years to 17 years inclusive)
All competitors receive a Ona Mission event shirt and lunch on event day.
- Make a Mission Beach Adventure Weekend of it ….–
Friday: settle in early and stretch the legs. Try one of many Mission Beach eateries-
Saturday: Vaka Tua Motu (around Dunk Island paddle) by Mission Beach Outriggers Club
Saturday: Mission Beach Outdoor Film Festival, adventure films from around the region
Sunday: Ona Mission Multisport Adventure by Cassowary Coast Multisport Club
(refer Facebook pages for details on the MB Outdoor Film Festival, MB Outrigger Canoe Club)
Accommodation & things to do at Mission Beach:
Book early for the Ona Mission weekend in Mission Beach. We appreciate it if you can support event sponsors including our major sponsor Mission Beach Resort.
- Mission Beach Resort; stay here and ask for the promo-code ‘Ona Mission’.
Ph; 4088 8288 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mission Beach; things to do contact Mission Beach Visitor Information Centre:
Phone; 4068 7099 or visit www.missionbeachtourism.com
- Tropical Coast; things to do on the ‘GBR Way’ to and from Mission Beach visit tropicalcoasttourism.com.au
Saturday, 15th September 2018
Venue: Mission Beach Resort, Lot 4 Wongaling Beach Road, Wongaling Beach
- 4:30pm: Registration opens, collect shirts and numbers etc. (Volunteers briefing)
- 5:30-6:30pm: Race briefing (attendance mandatory).
- 6:30pm: Event registrations CLOSE
(Book early for dinner at the Mission Beach Resort restaurant)
Sunday, 16th September 2018
Venue: 154 Kennedy Esplanade, South Mission Beach
- 6:15am- 7:00am: Compulsory pre-event sign-in at Event HQ (be early)
- 6:30am: Team runners will be transported to Dunk Island. (and Volunteers)
- 7:00am: Start – Long Course (south end of start line)
- 7:30am: Start – Short Course (north end of start line)
Starts are on the beach in front of the Outriggers Canoe Club. Important to arrive well ahead of the start time to sign-in.
- 2:00pm Presentations; start at the Outriggers Canoe Club. Times are approximate to ideally allow late finishers to get in prior to starting the presentations.
What to Bring:
- Suitable watercraft and paddle (surf skis, kayaks, canoes, SUP’s, outrigger canoes).
- PFD required. A Type 1 or Type 2 PFD (NO inflatable PFDs). These are compulsory and are to be worn by all paddlers. There will be a pre-race inspection.
- Mountain bike & approved helmet.
- Running shoes. Note individuals will need to take shoes with them on the paddle so you may want to pack a dry back.
- Water & nutrition (you must be self-sufficient on all legs)
What we supply:
- Lunch is available (Included for participants. Available for supporters to purchase)
- Water at transition points (i.e. the beach transition area & Dunk Island spit)
- Event T-shirt (one for each participant. Merchandise will be available for purchase)
- Race number (or bib).
- This event involves an ocean paddle to Dunk Island. It is advisable to paddle the course at least once before the event, preferably with other experienced paddlers.
- SUP’s (stand up paddle boards) are able to participate as a watercraft.
- Teams can be two or three or four persons. The recommended team size is three people – with a paddler, a runner, and a rider.
- One person for each discipline. Teams of 4 persons can have two runners (eg. one paddler, one rider, one island runner and one beach runner)
- For the Dunk Island runner, transport is organised to get runners to and from Dunk Island. (this transport for team runners is included in the registration fee).
- Runners in teams of 3 will be returned to the mainland in time for their final run leg. (NOTE: in teams of 2, the island runner would NOT be back in time to do the bike leg.)
Make a Team:
- Looking for teammates – utilise the Multisport Clubs Facebook! Shout out here if you want to be part of team or you need a paddler, a runner, or a rider.
- Corporate Teams – why not enter your workplace team for a corporate challenge with a difference? Make a weekend of it at Mission Beach
- Pairs are two people taking on the whole race together. Pairs must cover the whole course together and must complete each stage and the finish together.
- Pairs category is in the short course only. Pairs is the only category where a double paddle craft can be used. (Towing devices cannot be used for bikes.)
- Kayaks and canoes can be hired, the closest to Ona Mission are:
- Mission Beach Water Taxi, Wongaling Beach Phone: 07 4068 8310 Email: email@example.com
- Cairns and Townsville options:
- Adventure Equipment Australia, Cairns Phone: 4031 2669 or Visit: www.adventurequip.com.au
- Adventurethon, Townsville Phone: 0447 496 489 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For all and any prize draws competitors and/ or volunteers must be present at the presentation to be eligible for any random draw prizes. If not present then the prize will be randomly re-drawn immediately.
- This does NOT apply to teams, which will need to find a replacement team member.Cancellations – we will refund full entry fee less a $40 administration fee if an individual competitor is forced to withdraw from the event and advises event organisers by email to email@example.com prior to 8pm September 1st , 2018. After 01st September 2018 there will be no refunds unless a medical certificate is provided, in which case you will be credited with an entry into the 2018 event.
Ona Mission Multisport Adventure event is run by the Cassowary Coast Multisport Club, a volunteer run not-for-profit organisation. Find the club at www.ccmclub.org.au
The Cassowary Coast Multisport Club could not put on an event like this without the help of sponsors and supporters.
If you would like to support Ona Mission 2017 as a sponsor contact us today at firstname.lastname@example.org. It is very easy and rewarding.
Thankyou to our 2017 sponsors and supporters:
Mission Beach Resort, Queensland Government, Total Grower Services, Stanwell Corporation, Castaways Resort & Spa, Skydive Australia, Adventurethon, Maxpaddle, Adventure Equipment, Mission Beach Dive, Bendigo Bank, Chilcott Constructions, Mission Beach Croc and Wildlife Tours, Mission Beach Dive, Mission Beach Sailing Club, Mission Beach Surf Lifesaving Club, Mission Beach Water Taxi, Dunk Island, One Fish Technology, Pump n Pedal, Queensland Parks & Wildlife Service, Raging Thunder Adventures,, Visy, Bingil Bay Café, Outerlimits Adventure, Zephyr Coast, Dunk Island View Caravan Park, Ozscape, Bluewater Café, Cassowary Coast Regional Council, Coast Guard, SES Mission Beach.