Ona Mission Multisport Adventure 2017
ONA MISSION EVENT DETAILS, 3rd September 2017
While we do not anticipate any great changes to the following event details, course, and start times can be changed at any time by the event organisers. Confirmation of the final event courses and start times will be made at the compulsory event briefing on Saturday 2nd September.
Dates & Times:
Sunday, 03rd September 2017
7:00am Long Course start
7:30am Short Course start
2:30pm Presentations to begin
Mission Beach Surf Life Saving Club
154 Kennedy Esplanade, South Mission Beach
Distances: 4km paddle, 6km run, 4km paddle, 23km ride, 4km run
Individuals, Teams, Pairs, Junior
Designed for those who are at least moderately fit and seeking to experience adventure racing in a fun environment involving running, paddling and mountain biking. As an individual, or in a team of 2 to 4 people. We also welcome back the 2 person ‘Pairs’ category.
JUNIORS are back after a successful introduction in 2016!
Distances: 8km paddle, 11km run, 4km paddle, 30km ride, 10km run
Individuals, Teams (of 2 to 4 persons)
For those with some experience in multisport adventure racing who relish the longer distances. Participate as an individual or in a team.
Age groups: Open (18 – 44yrs), Masters (45yrs plus), *Junior (13 – 17yrs)
TEAMS – of 2 to 4 people :
Male, Female, Mixed
Age groups: Open (18 yrs plus), *Junior (all of team must be *Junior, aged 13 – 17yrs)
PAIRS – of 2 people, must finish each stage together. Short course only.
Age groups: Open (18 yrs plus), *Junior (both must be *Junior, 13 – 17yrs)
Note: tandem/double paddle craft are allowed.
*Junior (13-17yrs) participation is in short course only and is subject to parent/legal guardian approval & capability waiver prior to the event.
2017 Ona Mission entry fees are all per person as follows:
Individuals: Open & Masters $110.00 Junior $65.00
Teams (of 2 or 3): Open $90.00 Junior $50.00
Pairs: Open $90.00 Junior $50.00
(Junior age group is 13years to 17 years inclusive)
All competitors receive a Ona Mission event shirt and lunch on event day.
Accommodation & things to do at Mission Beach:
Book early for the Ona Mission weekend in Mission Beach. We appreciate if you can
support event sponsors including our major sponsor Mission Beach Resort.
- Mission Beach Resort; ask for promo-code ‘OnaMission17’. Ph; 4088 8288 or go to
www.missionbeachresort.com.au, E: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For accommodation and information on things to do and see we suggest you contact
the Mission Beach Visitor Information Centre: Ph; 4068 7099 or atwww.missionbeachtourism.com
- To explore things to do go on the way to or around Mission Beach visitwww.tropicalcoasttourism.com.au
Registrations close at mid-night Thursday 31st Auguist 2017.
EARLY BIRD PRIZE
register and pay by 31st August 2017 and go in the draw to win a $500.00 Mission Beach Resort accommodation voucher. (To win the participant must be present at the draw to claim the prize or it will be re-drawn). This will be drawn at the compulsory event briefing and can be used in 2017, thanks to;
Saturday, 2nd September 2017
Briefing & Registration: Compulsory for participants to register and attend briefing.
Venue: Mission Beach Resort, Lot4 Wongaling Beach Road, Wongaling Beach
- 4:30pm: Registration opens, collect shirts and numbers etc. (Volunteers briefing)
- 5:30-6:30pm: Race briefing (attendance mandatory).
- 6:30pm: Event registrations CLOSE
(Note, Meals will be available at the Mission Beach Resort restaurant.)
Sunday, 3rd September 2017
Race Day:Pre-event sign in and prompt race start times.
Venue: 154 Kennedy Esplanade, South Mission Beach
- 6:15am- 7:00am: Compulsory pre-event sign-in at Event HQ
- 6:30am: Team runners will be transported to Dunk Island. (and Volunteers)
- 7:00am: Start – Long Course (south end of start line)
- 7:30am: Start – Short Course (north end of start line)
Both start on the beach in front of the Mission Beach Surf Lifesaving Club. Please arrive well ahead of the start time to sign-in
- 2:30pm Presentations; start at the Mission Beach Surf Lifesaving Club. Times are approximate to ideally allow late finishers to get in prior to starting the presentations.
What to Bring:
- Suitable watercraft and paddle (surf skis, kayaks, canoes, SUP’s, outrigger canoes).
- PFD required. A Type 1 or Type 2 PFD (NO inflatable PFDs). These are compulsory and are to be worn by all paddlers. There will be a pre-race inspection.
- Mountain bike & approved helmet.
- Running shoes. Note individuals will need to takes shoes with them on the paddle so you may want to pack a dry back.
- Water & nutrition (you must be self-sufficient on all legs)
What we supply:
- Lunch is available (Included for participants. Available for supporters to purchase)
- Water at transition points (i.e. the surf club headquarters & Dunk Island spit)
- Event T-shirt (one for each participant. Merchandise will be available for purchase)
- Race number (or bib).
- This event involves an ocean paddle to Dunk Island. It is advisable to paddle the course at least once before the event, preferably with other experienced paddlers.
- SUP’s (stand up paddle boards) are able to participate as a watercraft.
- The recommended team size is three people – with a paddler, a runner, and a rider. Teams can be two or three or four persons.
- One person for each discipline. Teams of 4 people can have two runners (eg. one paddler, one rider, and one island runner and one beach runner)
- For the Dunk Island runner, transport is organised to get runners to and from Dunk Island. (this transport for team runners is included in the registration fee).
- Runners in teams of 3 will be returned to the mainland in time for their final run leg. (NOTE: in a team of 2 people, the island runner would not be back in time to do the mountain bike leg.)
Make a Team:
- Looking for teammates? Use our Facebook page to find teammates! If you want to be part of team or you need a paddler, a runner, or a rider shout out on this Facebook page.
- Corporate Teams – why not? Enter your workplace team for a corporate challenge with a difference, why not make a weekend of it at Mission Beach
- Pairs are two people taking on the whole race together. Pairs must cover the whole course together and must complete each stage and the finish together.
- Pairs category is in the short course only. Pairs is the only category where a double paddle craft can be used. (Towing devices cannot be used for bikes.)
If you don’t have a kayak/surf ski/ SUP/ outrigger canoe, ask around! It’s amazing how many are out there. There are also hire companies, some listed below.
Kayaks and canoes can be hired, the closest to Ona Mission are:
- Coral Sea Kayaking, South Mission Beach, Ph 07 4068 9154
- Mission Beach Water Taxi, Wongaling Beach, Ph 07 4068 8310
- There are also options in Cairns and Townsville:
- For all and any prize draws competitors and/ or volunteers must be present at the presentation to be eligible for any random draw prizes. If not present then the prize will be randomly re-drawn immediately.
- Cancellations – we will refund full entry fee less a $30 administration fee if an individual competitor is forced to withdraw from the event and advises event organisers by email to email@example.com prior to 8pm August 22nd After 22nd August 2017 there will be no refunds unless a medical certificate is provided, in which case you will be credited with an entry into the 2018 event.
- This does NOT apply to teams, which will need to find a replacement team member.
Ona Mission Multisport Adventure event is run by the Cassowary Coast Multisport Club, a volunteer run not-for-profit organisation. Find the club at www.ccmclub.org.au
The Cassowary Coast Multisport Club could not put on an event like this without the help of sponsors and supporters.
If you would like to support Ona Mission 2017 as a sponsor contact us today at firstname.lastname@example.org. It is very easy and rewarding.
Thankyou to our 2016 sponsors and supporters:
Mission Beach Resort, Queensland Government, Total Grower Services, Stanwell Corporation, Castaways Resort & Spa, Skydive Australia, Adventurethon, Maxpaddle, Adventure Equipment, Mission Beach Dive, Bendigo Bank, Chilcott Constructions, Mission Beach Croc and Wildlife Tours, Mission Beach Dive, Mission Beach Sailing Club, Mission Beach Surf Lifesaving Club, Avanti Bikes, Mission Beach Water Taxi, Dunk Island, One Fish Technology, Pump n Pedal, Queensland Parks & Wildlife Service, Raging Thunder Adventures, Ken Fox Homes, Rotary Mission Beach, Visy, Bingil Bay Café, Outerlimits Adventure, Zephyr Coast, First National Real Estate, Dunk Island View Caravan Park, Ray White Mission Beach, Ozscape.com, Bluewater Café, Cassowary Coast Regional Council, Coast Guard, SES Mission Beach.